“Dead men will have indeed died in vain if live men refuse to look at them.” Life Magazine May 7, 1945
I have been watching the nations of the world as they hear the hate speech pouring out of Iran toward Israel. Consider the following statements by Iran’s president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad:
- Israel should be “wiped out from the map”
- “And God willing, with the force of God behind it, we shall soon experience a world without the United States and Zionism,”
- “Anybody who recognizes Israel will burn in the fire of the Islamic nation’s fury.”
- On Israel’s 60th birthday, Ahmadinejad gave a speech, in which he stated: “Those who think they can revive the stinking corpse of the usurping and fake Israeli regime by throwing a birthday party are seriously mistaken. Today the reason for the Zionist regime’s existence is questioned, and this regime is on its way to annihilation.”
- “Today, they have created a myth in the name of Holocaust and consider it to be above God, religion and the prophets …”
- “With God’s help, the countdown button for the destruction of the Zionist regime has been pushed by the hands of the children of Lebanon and Palestine . . . By God’s will, we will witness the destruction of this regime in the near future.”
This is a very small snapshot of some of the statements made by Iran’s president about Israel. Anyone can google this and see it. I invite the reader to do their own research on this topic, and read these words for what they are.
I find it shocking that the world essentially turns a blind eye to this blatant hate speech that calls for the destruction of a specific nation repeatedly. This level of Anti-Semitism exceeds that of the Final Solution of Nazi Germany. It is no secret that the Arab world as a whole does not welcome the nation of Israel, and Ahmadinejad’s hateful sentiments are shared by many other nations that are not willing to vocalize it. How would we respond if Mexico repeatedly and forcefully called for our doom, questioned our legitimacy as a nation, and went about building a nuclear arsenal? Would we be as quiet? Would we ignore it?
Why is the world silent as a second holocaust is championed by the President of a growing world power? How can we sit by as Iran publicly longs for the extinction of Israel, while it concurrently sets its hand to developing nuclear power for “peaceful purposes”? Why is Iran given a free pass, when the Western nations decry the first holocaust and build museums and whisper “never forget” with candles and moist eyes?
There is a blindness toward this new Anti-Semitism, and a complete inability to connect the dots to see that this religiously motivated hatred is more dangerous than Hitler’s Final Solution. We must speak out against this blindness, lest we be guilty of allowing a world in which a second holocaust is possible. All of us need to strengthen the hands of President Obama and our leaders in congress to stand against this revived Monster of Anti-Semitism. But more than that, we need to pray that God would open the eyes of the blind. Let them see that not only was there a first holocaust, it was preceded by precisely this same kind of Hate Speech.
And it was ignored. Just like today.